Thursday, November 3, 2011

Reality Check

Do you ever have those moments when something you read or hear hits you like a ton of bricks and you know without a doubt that God put it right in front of you for a reason?  Like He's talking straight to you and no one else?  That's the kind of moment I had when I read my devotion this morning...

1 Timothy 6:6-7, 17-19 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Contentment.  That's a hard one for me.  But it's exactly what I needed to be reminded of as lately I've let my mind think way too much about what kind of car I'd like to get next, how I would love to have a bigger house, how I'd be happy if I could just get this or get that.  How foolish!  I have more than I need and most everything I want, and who am I to think I need more, more, more?  I've gotten several emails lately about different ministries in our church who are getting food and toys together for those in need during the upcoming holidays.  That's a good reminder of how blessed we really are.  I never give a second thought to where our next meal is coming from or if we'll have a place to lay our head at night.  And here I am letting my thoughts and time be consumed by such trivial things like a new pair of Fall boots, a better car or a bigger house.  Talk about a reality check.  Our pastor has said several times that he's never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul.  Think about that one.  What I am left with after reading those verses several times over is that using what we've been blessed with in turn to bless others is what it's all about.

Speaking of...
This child could stand to bless some little girls with the umpteen dozens of baby dolls she has.  She turns the living room into a daycare center every day and has more than she could possibly play with.  That's precisely why we keep the sentimental stuff and take the rest to the Neighborhood Christian Center and the Salvation Army every year before Christmas.  It's a huge lesson for the girls.  They didn't understand it at first, and Cate still asks if we're just letting other kids "borrow" their toys with the hopes of getting them back one day.  Truth is, they never, ever miss them because they still have plenty.  This is what I need to remind Santa of when he tends to go a little overboard in December...
Can I get some accountability on that one?!

2 comments:

Ford Family said...

We do the 3 gift Christmas and I think it is great and really makes mine think hard on what they REALLy want! ; ) Good luck...it's hard, I know!

Tara Verdigets said...

I really needed to hear this today, TT. Thanks of keeping all of us in check!