Friday, December 2, 2011

Thanksgiving & More

Has it really been a week since Thanksgiving?  I suppose time flies when you're having fun.  Or when you've got the flu, which is what plagued Cate last week.  We were supposed go to Callaway Gardens last Tuesday afternoon, but after a day of her running a high fever I decided a trip to the pediatrician would be a good idea.  Leaving town without making sure it wasn't more than a fever virus seemed best.  The office was closed, but the nurse told me to swing by quickly and they'd check her out.  Got to love a mother's intuition.  I found out we'd done the right thing when our doctor came in after running a few tests and said, "congratulations, Cate's the first case of the flu this season."  Not exactly what I was expecting (or hoping) to hear.  We put off our travel plans to see how she did overnight.  We ended up leaving town Wednesday morning and actually rather enjoyed only being away for one night instead of two.  My aunt had planned the afternoon out for us and everyone was sitting on go waiting for us to arrive.  The first stop was to check out the birds of prey show...
This little beauty was the first bird that was brought out.  You know how I feel about this one.  That owl looked straight at me immediately.  Ask Bethany.  It was craziness!  It's funny that the girls automatically spot anything and everything owl related at such an early age.  Towns was captivated...
 
 In true Cate fashion, she didn't sit still for too very long... 
She's a wiggle worm if there ever was one!
After the raptors it was time for the butterfly garden...
We didn't stay long being that it was 800 degrees in there, but we did come out with a couple of pictures...
Mark this day down in history.  Neither one wore a bow or ribbon and I survived.  Who would have guessed that was even remotely possible?! The main even was that night when we hopped on a trolley for the Fantasy in Lights.  But not before we scored hot chocolate for the ride.  Or in my case, boiling water sans cocoa.  Towns had an absolute blast the whole time.  It put Buggy straight to sleep, though.  That was partly because she was sick and partly because she's no night owl.  After the lights, Christmas carols, and freezing our tootsies off, we let Towns sit in Santa's lap and pose with her reindeer friend...
I'll be honest.  With Cate being sick, I didn't feel guilty about not putting the first bit of effort into our Thanksgiving lunch.  All I had to do was sign the receipt for our lunch at Callaway.  I'm not saying I'd make it a tradition, but it was just what the doctor ordered this year (no pun intended).  After Thanksgiving lunch with my dad's side of the family, we said our goodbyes and hit the road.

Now it's time for my soapbox.  I love a good Thanksgiving post as much as anyone.  But shouldn't it be Thanksgiving every day?  I'm guilty of not taking the time to be thankful for our many blessings, and it's something I'm working on.  Put it this way: I'm glad I didn't wake up and find myself left with everything I thanked God for yesterday, because it wouldn't be very much.  And that's a sad thought.  Today I'm thankful that I don't get what I deserve.

I'm also thankful that these lovies are what take up my time, energy, and thoughts...
I'm thankful for a husband who provides for us in more ways that we can count.  He's my better half.  Anyone who can live with four girls and still come home to us every night with a smile on his face is a saint!
And I'm thankful that this priss pot is starting to feel like herself again...
 
 It broke my heart to see her so pitiful, but I must admit that I love how she needs her mama when she's sick.  She's been my permanent attachment ever since.  She wants me to snuggle up with her her all day, every day.  And when I do, she tells me how much she loves me..."as big as the whole wide way-ald".  I could eat her up, y'all.  Lord help my soul.

'Tis the season...it's now December and I'm gonna hold on and enjoy the ride.  I love this busy time of year!

2 comments:

Tara Verdigets said...

Love the BIG pictures TT! And your just lucky the whole family didn't catch the flu. When one of us falls, we all fall! Glad y'all still got to enjoy the holiday!

Ford Family said...

Oh.my.word. yall have already had the flu?? Bless you, I mean Cate! Fabulous pics!!!