Friday, March 16, 2012

One of Those Weeks

Ever have one of those weeks?  The kind where you find out your child has to have a very unexpected surgery and a stranger in Wyoming books a $1,700 Expedia vacation on your American Express?  Yep.  That's the kind we've had.  Not only was it our AmEx number that was stolen, but our check card number too.  Whoever it was has purchased some very unsweet things from some very unsweet websites.  My auto correct is telling me unsweet isn't a word, but today it is because I said so.

I definitely should not be sitting at the computer right now given my long list of things to accomplish today, but you win out over everything else.  Lucky you, right?  I'm so kidding...

Will you pray for Towns?  She's got to have surgery Tuesday morning to remove a urachal remnant.  Without going into loads of detail, the connection from the bladder to the umbilicus should close on its own during fetal development.  In some cases it doesn't, and Cate had surgery when she was a baby because of it.  We never imagined that at Towns' age the pain and infection she was having would be caused by the same thing because usually it usually happens with babies and young children.  We took her to the doctor back in September, but we were given antibiotics and told it was just an infection.  Fast forward six months and we were back in the surgeon's office for the same thing yesterday.  After an ultrasound and lots of debate, Dr. Gilbert convinced me that this is the only logical reason she's been having these symptoms.  When we left his office yesterday I felt like I should explain to Towns what was going to take place.  I didn't tell her they were going to have to cut her belly open.  I just didn't think there was a need for that at the time.  I did think it was important for her to know she would have to have an IV (antibiotics during surgery as well as anesthesia, obviously) because she doesn't love needles.  I definitely don't want her to think I was trying to trick her when we show up at 6 a.m. Tuesday and she's in shock as they tell her what's going to take place.  When she heard "needle" she immediately burst into tears.  Crazy, irrational mom came out and I said, "I'll get you anything you want, please just don't cry".  The thought of my baby being that upset over what she's about to go through was more than I could handle.  I was thinking I was going to have to buy an iPod or something when she finally says, "will you buy me a chocolate bunny and let me eat the whole thing?"....um, YES!  Sweet little love.  I had to laugh at the way the girls were entertaining themselves while waiting on Dr. Gilbert to see us.  It's hard to hear Towns singing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" because I asked her to whisper.  Nevertheless, it's funny...
That's just a small glimpse at what I live with every day.  They're a hoot!
When the doctor finally came in, he had to take a phone call in the room from an oncologist who was treating his patient, a little girl with cancer.  Talk about perspective.  This belly button thing is minor in the grand scheme of things.  My heart physically hurt as I could hear the doctor on the other end of the line talking about that sweet child and her pathology reports, chemo treatments, etc.  I know I shouldn't have been listening, but it was a small room and she was a loud woman.  Maybe you could pray for that little girl even though I have no idea who she is?

I have no desire to be a Debbie Downer, so I must tell you this week hasn't been all bad.  Towns had a field trip to a working farm.  This is the first school function/field trip I've ever missed and I almost gave in and said forget everything waiting on me at home...I'll go.  But, I didn't.
Mrs. Propst's class was as cute as pie waiting for the buses to pull up...
I can't even begin to tell you how sweet those children are!
Cate and I skipped the farm, but made it to the picnic in the park they had on the way back into town...
Those are the faces of some hot and sweaty girls!  Towns said the field trip would have been much more fun if it hadn't been such a hot day.  She's her mother's child!
Virginia was there to keep Cate company...

 They couldn't stand to part ways so soon, so we sprung for a joint trip to Zen Beri.  Just what they needed to help them all cool off!

 I've been spoiled beyond belief by the warm temperatures this week.  Maybe I missed my calling and should have been a meteorologist with the way I'm obsessed with weather. We've logged lots of hours outside enjoying it with our baby dolls...


There are those jeggings again! :)

That's all I've got for now.  The fact that it's Friday (which means this week is officially o-v-e-r) makes me want to do a double back flip.  Right about now that credit card fraud vacation sounds like a winner if I could only transfer into our names...wonder if it was to somewhere tropical?!

No comments: