Friday, October 8, 2010

Pumpkin Pickin' Fun

Today was a day full of it! Towns had her 2nd field trip which is enough excitement in itself just because she gets to ride the bus. But as we were on the way to school and were talking about what all the day held, she said "this day just keeps getting better and better"! And indeed, she was right. We've always been pumpkin patch fanatics. There's just something about the weather, pumpkins, fall, etc. that gets us going. We've made the annual trip to Clanton's pumpkin patch for as long as I can remember, but we just may have a new favorite...Tate Farms. It was our first time to go. I know, I know. We're probably the only family in all of north Alabama that's never made it to Tate Farms. Don't give us too much grief about it! I debated endlessly on whether to let Cate go to school or to take her to the pumpkin patch. In the end I just didn't feel right about her missing out on it, and as the official kindergarten mascot, well she couldn't not go! So she threw on her festive pumpkin shirt, assumed her role as the permanent kindergarten accessory, and off we went.
We pulled up to the church and the girls were OH so excited to see this...

We ride the church bus a lot on Sundays, but somehow it's way more exciting when that very same bus is taking you on a field trip!
They were feeling the love before Towns got on the bus...

Josie and Towns buckled up and ready to go...

By this smile you might guess that Cate truly thought she was riding too...

When this happened it kind of put a damper on her mood...

She was not happy about it either!
She was quick to turn that frown upside down once we got there and she was reunited with her sister and her friends...

Our first stop was the petting zoo. Bunnies, goats, a llama, puppies and every other smelly animal you can imagine! Emma's mom volunteered to hold a rabbit so the girls could pet it...

Then the kids got to go in the pen with the lovely goats. Please note that my two children were the ones calling attention to the goat poop...

I mean, seriously?! Goodness.
I'm glad our guide diverted their attention to the playground because I was ready to dig a hole and crawl in it. Emma and Towns ran off hand in hand...

Look what they found! I know some little boys who would think transforming massive farm equipment into playground equipment is pretty cool.
Wish we could have taken it home with us! :)

It wasn't long before the girls spotted this...

Have you ever in your life seen a slide like that?! Towns wasted no time getting to the front of the line to have her turn...

Cate chickened out and climbed back down the stairs. Maybe next time!
Class picture on the big tires...

Cate's turn...

Our guide took us to the corn crib next. I'm pretty sure we'll be finding corn in all sorts of places for the next few weeks...

Cate figured out how to make corn angels...is that what you would call it?!

The next part was my favorite...a hay ride to the pumpkin patch!
When Mr. Boyd cranked up the tractor the kids cheered like crazy. So cute!

Apparently it was a little bit like a roller coaster...

Emma and Towns are rather inseparable. They joined forces to look for the perfect pumpkin...

Cate's more independent and went out on her own to find hers...


I tried my hardest to convince both girls to find the tiniest pumpkin they could. Yours truly wasn't into hauling around 20 lb. pumpkins for the rest of the trip! Cate followed directions very nicely...

Towns wasn't really about picking a small pumpkin. She had Mr. Boyd cut the biggest one she could find off of the vine...

The happiness a monstrous pumpkin brings is worth it though...

She was so proud of the one she picked and was only able to carry it about two feet before I took over. That's what Moms are for, right?!
Couldn't resist a picture of my punkins in the patch...

We even got to pick a little cotton while we were there...

By this time we were hot, tired, dusty, muddy, had corn in our jeans, sand in our shoes, and pricks on our fingers from the pumpkin patch. While the kindergartners headed to the hay maze, Cate and I set out in search of a cold drink. Score! We found little pumpkin cups full of orange Kool Aid that I probably would have paid $10 a piece for. The girls with their cute drinks (and orange mouths) in front of the hay bunny...

After two full hours of pumpkin patch fun, we'd had about all we could take. The only thing we could think about was Rosie's, so we took the party south of the border!
Sydney, Emma, Towns and Conner...

I love that Emma plays with Cate like she's her baby. Cate was laying in her lap like one...

I'd much rather her be laying in Emma's lap like a baby than on the floor where she ended up mid-meal...

Just keeping it real. It's not all roses all the time! Ha!
The threat of not getting a balloon on our way out got her up really quick.
She straightened up, we said our goodbyes (and gave apologies to the rest of the table for causing such a scene - thank goodness we were with friends who love us regardless of our behavior), and snagged pink balloons before we left...

What a day!!!
And since we're going with a pumpkin themed post, I have to show you this...

My good friend Jess painted it for us. Until now, she'd stuck with football paintings for your front door, and of course I threw a doozie at her when I asked her to make us a pumpkin. But knowing Jess, I knew it would be perfectly fabulous. She's so creative and totally delivered! We love it! I just know she'd love to make one for you too. She's got Christmas door hangers up our sleeve and I've already put my order in for one...better snatch yours up, too!

5 comments:

Ginny said...

WHG would absolutely LOVE the farm equipment/slide!! Miss all you girls!

April said...

Laughed out loud at them pointing out the poop. I knew they could hang with my boys but that just confirmed it. :) I do believe you're right - that one looks like it has Clanton beat by a mile.

Enjoyed lunch the other day even though I left without my Juvy. ;)

Loved this post!

Jennifer said...

I was going to ask where you got that pumpkin on your door! Too cute - I must have one!

We are loving the Kindergarten Rocks t-shirt. Ben wore it to school and his teacher went nuts! :) Thanks again!

Your girls are just adorable!

Jennifer said...

It's me again...I left a comment on Jess's blog about ordering a holiday sign. Is there another way I should contact her? You can email me if you need to...thanks!

Jmtate01 said...

Love the pictures and blog about our farm. You should post the pictures on Tate Farms facebook page...we've got contests for FREE admissions!
Glad you finally made it to visit us and the kids enjoyed.