Friday, July 16, 2010

Hollywood Studios...Day 3

Day 3 didn't start as early for us, and we very much enjoyed keeping the curtains drawn and not waking up to an alarm clock. We had originally planned to hit Animal Kingdom, but at the last minute Bethany referred to our official Disney guide book (thank you Barnes & Noble) and came up with a different idea. She thought Hollywood Studios might be more our speed after such a long day at Magic Kingdom the day before. I'm glad we took her advice because it was a laid back, but very fun day.

The main thing Bethany wanted to ride when we got there was the Tower of Terror. I gladly let J take on the job of going with her, but I wasn't quite prepared for Towns to get in on the action. She meant she wasn't going to be left out!
I was scared to death for her. Once we got there and saw it, all my fears were confirmed...

And the fact that I could hear the screams of the people riding inside from a good distance away didn't make it any easier to let her go. She's a closeted thrill seeker. You think she's the quiet, shy one and that Cate is the dare devil. But actually, it's the exact opposite when it comes to things like this. The rest of the family tells Cate she's a big sissy. I think she's perfectly fine with that, though. And so am I! :)

I left the crazies to have their deranged fun while Cate and I set out to find something more her speed. We parked ourselves on an empty bench and people watched for a little while...

This guy won the award...
(I couldn't resist - I'm terrible, I know.)

He was dressed in solid red and I couldn't figure out why he was standing there like that for a good 10 minutes without moving. When the rest of his family walked up also dressed in red from head to toe it hit me. That's how they find each other in a crowd. I sure did find him without trying, so there must be something to it. Maybe the next time we go we'll have a McClendon family color coded plan for each day. Smart, yes. But it would go over like a lead balloon with my crew.
Cate thought it was really special that they were all dressed "matchy matched like twins"...

We regrouped and got focused on making a plan for our sweet time together...

Until she found her reflection and was way more interested in making faces at herself and then bursting into uncontrollable laughter. That's my girl...

Can you tell we're easily distracted?!

First stop:
Playhouse Disney Live on Stage!

It was a little deceiving in that I thought the big characters would be on the stage, but it turned out to be puppets. Cate was beyond excited to get to see it which is all that matters. She didn't know the difference - to her there couldn't have been anything better!
The show included all of her favorites:
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, My Friends Tigger and Pooh, Little Einsteins, and Handy Manny...


Throw in tons of bubbles falling down from the ceiling, confetti shooting from all directions for Minnie's surprise party, and lots of singing and dancing - my Buggy was loving it! It was her heaven on earth!

By the time it was over, J and the girls had safely made it off the Tower of Terror ride. I had no idea what kind of condition I'd find Towns in - was she traumatized or did she love it? I was so nervous for her. Turns out she'd had a blast and somehow (against my better judgment) she dragged me back on it with her! I was petrified and she refused to hold my hand. I'll remind her of that one day!

We set out to see what else we could get into when we found the Streets of America...

We felt like we were right back in NYC thanks to hidden speakers that made it sound like you were in the middle of Midtown Manhattan.
And then we made our way to San Francisco...

No, that's not professional photography and she's not an actual model. Were you fooled?! Kind of looks like one of those "Stars - They're Just Like Us" pictures in my favorite magazine! :)

By this time we were all starved and so was everyone else at Hollywood Studios, because you were hard pressed to find a lunch spot that could get you in before 9 o'clock that night. J and B went in search for food while I kept the little ones entertained by letting them act silly for the camera...





After refueling, it was time to put our autograph book to good use...

We found Handy Manny (my personal favorite)...


And two of the Little Einsteins...


We'd gotten a Fast Pass for The Little Mermaid show, and by the time we'd filled a few pages of the autograph book it was time to set out on our voyage...

We didn't know much about the show and what we were about to see, but it turned out to be the neatest and cutest little show! Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it - even when rain started falling from the ceiling as part of the show and wet us all!

To say that by this point in the day we were exhausted was an understatement. We were going on very little sleep from the last several nights and we'd had a big day at Magic Kingdom the day before. We tried to get the most out of Hollywood Studios that we could and ended up staying until almost 9:00 that night, but it took all we could do to keep on trucking. By mid-afternoon, this was the scene...

All three piled themselves in the double stroller!

J took the older two to ride a couple more rides which left me and my little sidekick to go exploring again. Cate spotted Pluto, Goofy, and Chip and Dale in a big crowd from afar so we made our way over to see what the fuss was all about. We found ourselves in the middle of a big ol' concert! If you have kids and know the Imagination Movers, this band is like them but do the best 80's cover songs I've ever heard. It's safe to say we both enjoyed ourselves to the fullest...

My Buggy can get down with the best of 'em! And she didn't give a second thought to dancing her little heart out with about 100 other people watching her...probably because she was so wrapped up in her moves that she didn't even notice!

It was almost time for the park to close, so we checked Hollywood Studios off our list and made our way back to the hotel. But not before these two put on a show with a couple of traffic cones in the parking lot...

Fun, fun!

We only had one more full day left in Orlando before our trip came to an end, and it was spent by the pool from sun up til sun down. Now that's my idea of rounding out a vacation! One more post to come and I'll close the book on our Disney trip...

3 comments:

April said...

Goodness, woman, you've been busy with these Disney posts! I love them all! While looking through all the pictures and reading your recap of everything, I felt like I was right there with you. I need to show you some pics from B's first trip - she was a little older than Cate Bug. Her two favorite things were Dumbo and the monorail. Not sure much changed with this trip - HA! If any place can make you feel like a kid again, that's it. They don't call it MAGIC Kingdom for nothing.

Can't wait for the last post!

Mary said...

I love the Disney posts!!! Looks like you all had the best time!

Ford Family said...

What fun!!