Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Science Fair & Bird Watching

I've been really bad about letting my beloved camera collect dust lately.  I didn't know I was capable of that, but apparently you learn something new every day.  I did, however, think to take a quick picture of Towns and her science fair poster this morning.  With my phone.  Horrible quality, but that's perfectly alright because she was so stinking proud of her poster...
 
In a perfect world, I'd have all my ducks in a row all the time.  In reality, that's completely laughable!  We've had good intentions when it came to the science fair.  Towns is all about that sort of thing, and when she found out it was an "Under the Sea" theme she knew just what she wanted to do for her poster.  Last month she did a big book report on sea horses.  They're pretty interesting little creatures, believe it or not.  She was so excited to already have some knowledge under her belt.  A week went by with us planning and scheming, but not putting our plan into action mainly because of two things: pneumonia and bronchitis.  Yesterday as I was cleaning off the kitchen counter that was full of papers and school work, I ran across the information sheet that quickly reminded me that it was due this morning.  I sort of hit panic mode as I debated on whether or not to even mention it.  My conscience got the best of me, and at 9:30 last night we were just finishing her poster. 

You know little sister had to have the same picture.  She might not have had a science fair poster, but she did have a Build-A-Bear that served the purpose...
 
I think we might have to change her name.  Forget Harper...a more proper name would be Catherine Jeggings McClendon.  That's all she talks about, all she thinks about, all she wants to wear no matter the weather and no matter what she wears with them.  It makes no difference to her as long as that's what's covering her lower body.  An intervention might be in order.  A closet full of nice clothes and $4 jeggings from Target are what floats her boat.  Not even denim, mind you.  These are the cotton ones that just look like jeans.  High class, for sure. Jegs has become quite the little bird watcher lately.  We make good use of the front porch swing now that it's starting to warm up.  If there's a birds for dummies book, I probably should invest in it.  She asks me what every type of bird is and I have no answers for her.  I can identify a blue jay, a red bird, and a pigeon.  That pretty much sums up my knowledge of our feathered friends...she's hardly amused by it, I might add.  This has produced some pretty funny conversations.  Today we were watching two birds aggravating each other when one flew to the top of our oak tree.  I asked her what she thought it was doing.  She said, "I know exactly what he's doing - he's going to find a rock."  I asked her why she thought that, and she told me that it was because he was about to "nail" the other bird.  What?  "That's what I'd do if it was bothering me like that," she said. Obviously I need to brush up on my trivia, and she needs to brush up on how to play nicely with others...

1 comment:

Ford Family said...

Love the bird convo! too stinkin cute!