Sunday, August 15, 2010

Always A Party

This one's going to kick off a long line of kindergarten talk from a mama who's about to release her first born into the wild. I know, I know. It's just kindergarten. But in my delusional, sentimental mind it's like she's going to college. I'm debating on whether or not to tell you that her school is only 4 short hours a day...at our church. Now you're really laughing, and that is perfectly fine. She starts school on the 18th, but we've had her school supplies since the middle of July when we received a packet full of school information in the mail. She and I couldn't really contain ourselves, so we caved and went school supply shopping well in advance. This was the day I'd been dreaming about for 5 1/2 years. I had a hard time coming to grips with the fact that it was here! I detest going to Wal-mart, but being that Target had been ransacked we really had no choice. We went down her list item by item and had the best time checking each one off after it had been placed in its special spot in the cart. I had a feeling we'd share the love of school supply shopping, and oh was I right! She meticulously picked the best box of crayons, bottle of glue, etc. as if she was trying to make it last as long as humanly possible. She's a girl after my own heart!
We started with scissors...

Then crayons...

And markers...

For some reason, she had a hard time picking out glue...

We got folders, pencils, glue sticks, and lots of necessities and then she organized them the best she could...

After the main event, I took her on a dinner date where we talked about how fabulous kindergarten is going to be...

I'll give you one guess as to what the McClendons did later that night.
If you were thinking we had a "First Time Ever School Supply Shopping Party" you'd be correct!
We had lots of unnecessary sweets...


And celebrated Towns being initiated into the big girl club!

{Question: do you ever wonder what our husbands must think of us as we take pictures of food we've cooked and such for the ever so practical purpose of showing it to the world? Just wondering. If I were a fly on the wall I'd think of my own self as being rather crazy.}

The other day the school girl was doing a little of this when the doorbell rang...

She threw some clothes on (because sometimes I do clothe my children) just in time to catch the UPS man delivering a little surprise to our doorstep...

A new backpack and lunch box!


Now that is excitement!
It just so happened that the next day was the day she had to go meet her teacher and drop her supplies off in her classroom, so we checked everything off our list to make sure nothing had been forgotten...


It was all present and accounted for, so she packed it in a bag to take to school the next morning...

If you're completely over the whole kindergarten subject, take a vacation from this one because I've got lots to cover between now and the first day of school! :)

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I can't believe that Towns is going to Kindergarten!! However, I do believe that she will be the most prepared and well dressed new Kindergartener ever!! Congratulations Towns, have a wonderful school year.