Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kindergarten Meet 'n Greet

Thursday night I went to a parents' meeting for kindergarten at church while J held down the fort. Up until several weeks before Towns was to start school, we still didn't know where she'd be going. We signed her up at every possible place just to buy ourselves some time. J & I tried to weigh the pros and cons between private kindergarten at our church and public school. I'm not kidding when I tell you that I did a lot of praying over this one. Even though I really wanted her in public school, it seemed like it wasn't the right choice. I went rounds with the Lord over it. I've come to the conclusion that whenever you try that, you'll always come out having learned a thing or two. That was certainly the case in this situation. All I needed was a little faith that He knew what was better for her than her own parents did - I had to learn that the hard way. Now I have such a peace about this year and what's in store for her. And sitting at that meeting Thursday night listening to her teacher and the school director talk about the upcoming year was just what I needed. It became crystal clear. I guess it's true what they say - sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. She'll be going to school in a Christian environment which is important to us. I know we can't keep her in a bubble forever, but for now we can! I'm in no way knocking public school - it's all I ever knew and is where she'll be next year. But for now, this is what seems to be the best fit for her.
When I saw this verse in the information slide show, it sealed the deal for me...

Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.
Proverbs 16:3

The next morning Towns had a date with her teacher and the class for a meet and greet. She took her school supplies and put them away...


She filled out the getting to know you card...

It was hard for her to fill out her card because she kept eying this little gem...

Towns and Mrs. Lindsay...

Mrs. Lindsay took some time to tell the class about herself. When she pulled out pom poms and told them she used to be a cheerleader, she really caught Towns' attention...

They'll be learning "popcorn" words which are sight words in beginning reading, so they got to shake a bottle of popcorn kernels to try to find their name which Towns thought was neat...

Found it!

Towns and Emma...

They're the only 2 girls in their class, and I have no doubt they'll be taking good care of the other 4 boys!

Can't wait for August 18th...that's the big day!!

No comments: