Friday, February 17, 2012

Ben Davis Got Talent

My, oh my, how Townsy has waited for February 16th to roll around.  Since the very beginning of school she's known about Ben Davis Got Talent which has been in the forefront of her mind constantly.  A talent show?  At school?!  It just doesn't get better than that, people.  She has schemed and planned and planned and schemed for months.  It was finally decided that she would do a dance with Mary Bibb and Emma.  Much to their dismay, we didn't have time to pull together a dance of the hip hop variety and had to settle for a modified version of a dance I'd used in a recital before.  So "Kickin' It Country" was then the name of the game.  Emma happened to have a dance class she couldn't miss during the talent show, but she got there just in time.  These two monkeys were ready get the show on the road and were the first ones there...
 
They were just that excited.  We had to be there 45 minutes early!
They practiced their little hearts out and were pretty serious about this thing. 
They had the ultimate fan club, that's for sure...
Before it was their turn on the stage, Towns played "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the piano...
 
I was a bit nervous for her as she's never taken piano lessons.  All she knows is what her mama has taught her...and teaching piano is definitely not my forte!  I had to put a smiley face sticker on the key she was supposed to begin on as a little reminder.  That was for her peace of mind, and mine too!

I love a lot of things about Ben Davis, but one thing I really love is how the kids are so encouraging to each other.  Let me be clear here...it takes A LOT of nerve for a 1st or 2nd grader to get on stage in front of a huge audience and sing a solo, do a dance, or what have you.  I was blown away at the confidence those kids had.  I would have never done this at their age!  Sitting in the floor in front of the stage were students who clapped, sang along, and waved their arms in the air to make the performers feel at ease.  It was just plain sweet...
And don't even think that all the teachers weren't dancing along to Katy Perry and Taio Cruz.  Priceless!
When it came time for the girls to do their dance I was a nervous wreck.  Why? I don't know.  Guess it's a mom thing!

They nailed it and even if they hadn't, it would have been perfect anyway.  It was all for fun! The video is horrible quality, and you can barely tell who is who.  Towns is on the left, Mary Bibb is in the middle, and Emma is on the right...

They were the cutest cowgirls I ever did see...
Plans are already in the works for BDGT 2013.  Heaven help us...

1 comment: